Birds of the Yucatan Peninsula
The Yucatan Peninsula is home to an astounding 546 bird species in 74
different families. Birding can be done almost anywhere, especially in and
around the sites of the famous Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza and Coba. Even the area around Cancun has some pretty good birding potential.
- A list of birds that are endemic or near-endemic to the Yucatan Peninsula. ...more
- Avibase - Yucatan Peninsula Bird Checklist
A complete checklist of the birds of the Yucatan Peninsula provided by Avibase including endemic, endangered, threatened, and accidental species.
- The Birds of the Yucatan Peninsula -
An article by Barbara MacKinnon H. about the birds of the Yucatan Peninsula. Specifically identifies different habitats and locations to see many of the birds of the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Annual Yucatan Bird Festival - TOH -
The Seventh Yucatan Bird Festival - TOH - was held from Nov. 13 - 16, 2008.
Some details are available here - ...link
- Yucabirds.com - a website with some very nice photos of birds taken in the Yucatan by Donna Richards.
- Bird Books - A complete selection of the recommended Field guides and birding location guides.
- Some video clips of Yucatan birds:
Common Birds you are very likely to see
(by Antonio Hidalgo)
- White-winged Dove - Zenaida asiatica
- Ruddy Ground-Dove - Colmbina talpacoti
- Groove-billed Ani - Crotophaga sulcirostris ...photo
- Turquoise-browed Motmot - Eumomota superciliosa
- Golden-fronted Woodpecker - Melanerpes aurifrons
- Great Kiskadee - Pitangus sulphuratus
- Social Flycatcher - Myiozetetes similis
- Clay-colored Robin - Turdus grayi
- Tropical Mockingbird - Mimus gilvus
- Black-headed Saltator - Saltator atriceps
- Melodious Blackbird - Dives dives
- Great-tailed Grackle - Quiscalus mexicanus
- Altamira Oriole - Icterus gularis